ESL Level 6 Spring 2007 Harold Washington College

Welcome to the class blog! This blog belongs to the students of ESL-INTEG Level 6 at Harold Washington College. This is a place for students to publish and share their writing.

Sunday, April 29

Losing a Mind

Min Li Wu (Joyce)

Level 6

Final draft

Feb.28, 2007

Losing a Mind

Do you think only the blind people lose? I am not blind, but if I live in the same place in my entire life, I won’t say I lose. I had lived in China for twenty-six years before I immigrated to America. Living in China where I was familiar with everything nearby made me feel comfortable, for I grew up in China, and I used to live in the environment where I didn’t feel strange. Therefore, facing my new life in a new country, I appeared to be anxious because of the different language, lifestyle, education, and relationships. If everything of America was China, I will not feel that I have lost my language, experience, and traditional culture in this new land.

Communication is the most important between people. I always spoke in Chinese in my old country. However, I have seldom talked with people in English in new place because I lack knowledge of English. Never shall I forget the English lesson in English class three years ago. On that day, when my teacher came into the class, the first thing she wanted us to do was go to the blackboard and say something about ourselves. When it was my turn, I felt so shy and fearful because I had never done this in my class in China. Besides, I had to speak in English. I didn’t dare to say a word when I stood in front of the class. At this time, my teacher said kindly, “Don’t be afraid. No one will laugh at you. I believe you can do it. Have a try.” At last, I introduced myself in poor English. “Where was my courage” I asked myself.

Not only language is lost, but also career. Some people have found a better job in this new city, but I have not. Working positions between China and America are completely different. Can you image a woman who works with computers and documents at a comfortable office in China, and then one day she works as a waitress in America? That woman is me. I felt 360 degree of change. I even worked in a restaurant for getting some experience in America without pay. My first day of work, I didn’t hear clearly the instructions for waiter that we should go into the kitchen through one door and out using another. So when I took a few glasses of water to guests from the kitchen, I went to the wrong door and collided with my co-worker who was coming in. Even though I graduated from college in old country, I have been a novice in America. Education is necessary for me to find a better job as the same career before. I was really exhausted working in a physically demanding job.

My mood and attitude have changed with the new circumstance. My important traditional customs have lost since I moved to this new country. I can’t adapt quickly to the new customs in U.S. The day I looked forward to cerebrate was coming, but I couldn’t feel Spring Festival’s atmosphere in America even though I live in Chinatown. There were people bought flowers to decorate their house from Flower-Market street, children smiled happily for the red envelope, people prayed for luck at the temple, the relatives cerebrated together appeared in my mind. It is undeniable that I will miss what I used to enjoy in my old country.

As you know, the things that I lose were left strong impression in my memory. I know that for many people who live in a new place, they will lose something like me. I hope that everything is the same in a different country is impossible. People who want to make their new life in a new country need to find a balance. I am trying to overcome the conflict, so the loss will be less and less. I hope one day I will feel comfortable in this new country, and become more experienced.

4 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello good day to you!

I’ve read your blog http://www.thriftypages.ie/ and find it very much interesting. Can you do me a favor? Can I ask you to post my link in your blogroll/sidebar? In return with that I’ll write an article for you which are related to your blog. In this way, we both can benefit since there would probably more visitors in your blog and mine as well. It would be my pleasure if you will accept my request. Thanks in advance!

Keyword: Learn Foreign Languages
URL: http://www.abroadlanguages.com/

Best regards,
Audrey Morales

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home